Friday, April 11, 2008

Prayers, car trouble

April 11, 2008
So, I know all the reasons to be grateful: I wasn't driving on the highway when my car died. I was in my own neighborhood, although at least a mile from home. And some nice folks helped me.
Yes, I am grateful, but I have also been an irritiable so-and-so all day. My husband just worked on the car before he went out of town, but somehow the alternator was loose and the battery was drained and - of course - I left my cell phone at home and had to borrow from the neighbor who helped us - and who I don't know at all as they live around and down the hill and we just moved here last September.
But, I was going to visit a friend 20 miles away today. She had to cancel at the last minute. It could have happened on the way there. I am lucky it didn't. We were going across town on the highway tomorrow. It could have happened on 581, and that would've been a big problem.
Here's an even better piece of luck. The couple who helped us out have a nephew who is service manager at the garage in town and they sent us to them to fix the alternator. So, I am really lucky.
My other car has a lapsed registration because it didn't pass inspection and so I have to get something in it repaired before I have it registered. Meanwhile, I'm driving a lapsed registration vehicle to softball practices. I hope to have my old car back tomorrow - at a relatively low cost.
Another good point: Hubby got paid today although he is at a conference in Nevada. So, at least, I can afford to have the car fixed.
I certainly don't sound very spiritual in this post. I'm beginning to think of Virginia as the PLACE WHERE THINGS BREAK - OR DON'T WORK - giving the house flooding and other issues we have seen here.
My phone went out earlier this week and I had to buy a new splitter for the modem. I'm starting to feel like I can actually handle mechanical things - or at least hire people who can handle mechanical things. I definitely am an idiot when it comes to cars. I wasn't even sure where the hood release was.
But when my car died, I did say my prayers for help and I got help. So, if there is any spiritual bent to this post it is that prayers are answered. Life cannot be trouble-free, but prayers can be answered.

No comments: