Monday, April 7, 2008

Library sales and homeschooling

April 7, 2008
I love library book sales. For 50 cents or $1, I often come away with a wonderful book that will keep my hyper boy still for 30 minute to an hour! I was reminded of that today when Joey picked up Stephen Biesty's Incredible Cross-Sections book and proceeded to educate himself and his sister about operas, the Queen Mary (a ship), cathedrals and a space shuttle.
This was after "real school" time. This was kid time. So, while I was trying to repair the jammed shredder with a fork (shredder was unplugged), the kids learned quite a bit. One thing they already know is that I'm not the mechanical one in the family - obviously. Shredder is still jammed.
I don't understand why libraries are so all-fired ready to sell great books for nothing. When we moved here, I bought Pagoo by Holling C. Hollings for 50 cents. That is a classic of Charlotte Mason-type homeschooling. Many of the books I buy are out-moded classics, of course. Misty of Chincoteague was another, and the Isle of the Blue Dolphins.
This weekend, our main library here is having a big sale and I'm soooo looking forward to it. Nothing cheers me up like cheap books! And with hubby being gone on this lovely convention, it will definitely brighten my weekend.
Spring in Virginia is funny. It's overcast much of the time and rainy when it's not overcast. How bout some sunshine? Of course, my most recent hometown of Memphis is struggling with a flood-stage Mississippi River, so I should not complain.
Tigers play tonight. Go Tigers! Bring home that NCAA title.

No comments: