Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dogwoods, Lilacs and Libraries

April 10,
I keep finding new reasons to like my yard. Mind you, the yard was the attractive part of the home when we bought it. But spring is really showing it to advantage. Yesterday, I discovered we have young dogwood trees growing by the creek, and today I found two lilac bushes growing out by the deck, one white and one purple. Spring has really sprung here and it was a beautiful day for the park, where we met some new homeschool friends from the next county over.
So, we are having a nice day and I'm glad to be homeschooling, especially as I listen to some of the moms with kids in public high school talk.
Then we were off the library - one of my favorite haunts - although I don't usually like to go after school hours because it is so crazy. I loaded up on books about China as we are studying that next week and Olivia got Kit's World because she is reading all of the American Girl books about Kit and the Great Depression right now.
The library checkout is just in front of a book display - choices by the library's Teen Council. Olivia pointed to one. The title was Cut in red letters with an x slashed beneath it and you could tell from the other words on the cover that it was all about that sad psychological phenomenon of "cutting," which is kind of like self-mutilation. It is RIGHT in front of the kids DVDs, too. Not appreciating it. The other Teen picks were like the Sorcerer's Bride and Vampire Tales and other really down and dirty depressing stuff.
Yuck.
I think the next time I go to the library will be by myself and I plan to mention how little I appreciate the placement of those "edgy" books. Plus, the graffiti in the bathroom is terrible. This is one of my, "what's the world coming to?" posts. And how in the world can I make a real difference aside from affecting the lives of my own children?
I was glad to come home to my beautiful yard and quiet home where my kids love to read and play together.
But I know that people of good conscience cannot check out of society. We must stand up for what we believe in. There is a great article on lifesitenews.com about a Canadian teacher who is being suspended from his job for writing letters to the editor regarding his traditional Christian beliefs on homosexuality. How about some free speech? That right is being eroded in Canada and that certainly could happen here. It is something to take seriously.

2 comments:

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Hey, there! I've been enjoying your posts on nature. :) And, I tagged you for a meme on Domestic Vocation.

TradMom said...

Thanks Christine,
What's a meme? I keep seeing that on blogs. BTW, sorry I never got back to you on the pond. i think we will pass as I'm sure you want to get rid of it and hubby is out of town for a bit.
Glad you are enjoying the nature stuff. I'm loving the weather.