Monday, April 21, 2008

Dogwoods and Lilies

April 21, 2008
It rained all night last night and much of the morning. But now the sun is shining brightly here and the birds are singing. Of course, they sing when it is raining, too.
The rain will be great for the Easter lilies I planted yesterday. Not being a gardener at all, I didn't realize that lilies - being bulb plants - come back to life every year, no matter how dead they happen to look in their little Easter pots. So, I brought home three dead-looking Easter lilies and planted them in the garden that contains the daffodils and tulips. They will be a nice addition next year.
I think I would like to plant day-lily bulbs this year where my pansy patch is. I have always been a big fan of the day lily, especially the orange variety. It is a grand, tall flower but it has a sort of everday-ness about it that is homey. And of course, they would come back every year, unlike the pansies.
My favorite spot in the yard right now is the bedroom-end of the house where the most hot-pink azalea I have ever seen is blooming beneath my daughter's bedroom window, in sharp contrast to kids' climbing tree which is befrilled with white dogwood blossoms at the moment.
I have no fewer than 10 blooming dogwoods in my yard and along the creek right now. Truly amazing. I'll have to find something new to write about soon. I'm sure both of my readers are getting tired of reading about spring in Virginia.

No comments: