Saturday, February 2, 2008

Love or Duty?

Feb. 2, 2008

I am on a CS Lewis kick these days. I read last night CS Lewis Letters to Children, a lovely quick read that gives even more insight on that gifted writer. A quote from one of his letters really jumped out at me, as I have always been one of those duty-bound people -- doing what is right because it is right. And here is the quote. The topic was on being "good."

"A perfect man would never act from a sense of duty; he'd always want the right thing more than the wrong one. Duty is only a substitute for love (of God and of other people), like a crutch, which is a substitute for a leg. Most of us need the crutch at times; but of course it's idiotic to use the crutch when our own legs (our own loves, tastes, habits etc) can do the journey on their own!"

Now, I usually want the right thing more than the wrong one -- unless we are talking about choosing foods. But I wonder then if my behavior is motivated by duty? The quote brought me up short and made me think.

This also brings to mind the conversation on discipline in a chat group of which I am a part.
One contribution from a member of the group, who happens to be a friend, was quite valuable. It is one that she saw on a video somewhere. "Walk in your strengths and manage your weaknesses."
Now that is some good advice.
'Til next time.

No comments: