Wednesday, December 24, 2008

St. Therese of Lisieux

Dec. 24, 2008

Just a little Christmas Eve blogging here. I found a wonderful book for my daughter and I hope she likes it. It is called Olivia and the Little Way. I am a sponsor of Little Flowers Catholic Girls Club, which is a sort of Catholic, virtue-based type of Girl Scouts based on learning about the saints. The girls especially try to model themselves on St. Therese, the Little Flower. But they earn nine virtue petals per wreath for learning about a saint and the virtue and doing certain activities.

I happen to love St. Therese, myself, and have read her Story of a Soul several times. But this little book was written by a Catholic mom of boys who loves St. Therese and it is all about a little girl named Olivia who moves from Texas to Michigan and all of the adventures and trials she finds there. Thanks to her grandmother, she tries to handle these things by putting into practice the attitudes of St. Therese and doing little things with great love, rather than great things. But it is told pretty true to a kid's point of view so I hope my daughter, also named Olivia, will like it. I'll find out tomorrow. She asked for a Calvin and Hobbes book, so I hope she won't be terribly disappointed. I'm sure the skateboard will dispel any momentary disappointment she may feel:) and perhaps she'll give the book a chance.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Nancy Carabio Belanger said...

Hi there! Merry Christmas! I am the author of Olivia and the Little Way and I just happened upon your blog. I really hope your Olivia enjoys the book. I know it's tough to go up against Calvin and Hobbes! I have a blog for the book and I welcome any comments she or you may have. God Bless, Nancy

TradMom said...

I thought the book was lovely. It touches on a lot of issues that girls that age have to deal with and does a good job, ie Olivia doesn't always do the right thing the first time.
I liked it and hope she does too. I'll share it with the moms in my LF group.
Mrs. R.

Nancy Carabio Belanger said...

Thank you so much, Mrs. R! God Bless, Nancy