Sunday, November 4, 2007

Serenity

Nov. 4,
Today I am going to share a prayer that many people know:
Applying this prayer to my life every day is just about the only way I know to live well in this world. The prayer is attributed to Reinhold Niebuhr.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonable happy in this life;
and supremely happy with Him in the next.

As I write, I can look out my window and see the absolute beauty of a Virginia fall. Gold, red, green-gold and orange dappled by the sun through the trees. And I know that is God. The silly daily trials and tribulations of life are my chance to apply this prayer and allow those hardships to be my path to peace.
So what if we have lived here six weeks -- and only one week with a floor. We'll get the floor and the accompanying chaos this week. And then we'll get the carpet and the accompanying chaos next week.
Life is too beautiful to be squandered staring at a 50-year-old sub-floor when you have 100-year-old trees in the backyard screaming for your attention.
So, out I go to do my lesson planning on the deck.
Have a blessed and serene week. I hope to do the same.

1 comment:

Margie said...

Leighann,

So great to hear from you! Wow, Virginia! Do you like it? I lived in W Virginia as a teen. THought it was beautiful. I loved the adventure of moving. In fact, we might be doing it again sometime soon. The bank my husband works for has been acquired. New bank is in CT. Will keep you posted.

Want to visit your blog. You should try to sell something to Chicken Soup. They are always putting out new books.

How is the homeschooling going? Are you still writing for Jane? I had another baby in May so I am taking some time off from writing but I am sure I will get back to it. Nice not to have any deadlines when I"m nursing a baby. He is six months old. Silas William. Red hair. So fun. How is your family?