Wednesday, November 21, 2007

In Thanksgiving and Welcoming Advent

Nov. 21, 2007
So, tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I have much for which to be grateful. I hope that both Mrs. Asbury and Mrs. Klaiber (my 9th and 10th grade English teachers) will be happy that I did not leave that preposition at the end of the sentence.
I am first grateful that Olivia's stomach virus cleared up and that she will be able to enjoy Thanksgiving with us.
Second, I am very, very grateful that our home renovation is complete -- even the insulation in the basement. So we have a real home to live in with floors, no annoying floor staples and carpet and everything. Also, we got a dishwasher.
Third, I am grateful that my husband has the holiday off and I am hopeful that he will not be called in. He has been called in almost every day since we have moved here two months ago. So, again, I'm grateful and hopeful.
Fourth,I am grateful to homeschool as I am becoming more and more convinced that it is best for children during this current age. That sounds preachy. But that is where I am right now. I am a frequenter of the library and many times the kids I run into there are loud, ill-mannered and obviously suffering from their exposure to the media that is marketed to them these days.
Fifth, I am grateful that we do have everything we need.
Now, moving on to Advent, I am hopeful that we can make this a season of anticipation of Christ -- a truly beautiful season that does not get sucked into the vacuum of consumerism.
I hope to be attentive to the season, learn more about it and teach the children the true meaning of it. Note to self: Get copy of The Jesse Tree. Read more saint stories and perhaps incorporate the Angelus into our day. That last is something I have tried before and failed at. The kids just did not get with it.
I sincerely want to make the Life of Christ as important a part of their reality as the American Girl book series or the various presidents that so interest my son.

No comments: