Monday, December 3, 2007

Time to Slow Down

Dec. 3, 2007
Here we are in Advent and it is time to slow down even as the commercial Christmas season urges us to speed up. Nothing like a little stomach virus to slow you down, and that is what we have here at Mrs. R's house today.
Joey was miserable but is now basically asleep. He so rarely is quiet and still during the day; it is very unusual. Olivia is lonely without him.
Luckily, we have a doctor appointment tomorrow. It has been like pulling teeth to get in to a doctor in our lovely new town. If you are a new patient, you sometimes have to wait weeks - even if you are sick. I was sick all of last week and was told that I could wait until January for a doctor or go to Urgent Care. I finally went to Urgent Care and got my bottle of stomach-ripping antibiotics to cure my respiratory infection. Inspired by my own experience, I went ahead and made a check-up appointment for a pediatrician for my kids - and none too soon. The two largest pediatric practices on our insurance plan had closed to new patients - leaving me a choice of about four doctors in town for the kids. I dutifully made the appointment, hoping at least to get their flu shots taken care of. I'm just thankful that we found a pediatrician on our plan. Of course Joey will have to wait on his flu shot until he is over the virus.
Yesterday after Mass we enjoyed a nice presentation in adult education about the Immaculate Conception. I really enjoyed it and was glad my husband went because he learned a lot and enjoyed it, too. The presenter talked about Saints Bernadette, Catharine Leboure and Maximilian Kolbe, in addition to the dogma of the Immaculate Conception. Both my daughter and I wear miraculous medals blessed in Lourdes, thanks to my friend, Mig, whose sister brings them back after each visit.
Well, must be off. One of our Advent devotions will be to say the Angelus at noon, starting today and that is almost now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am Mig's sister who works in Lourdes each summer. I am thrilled to read that you and your daughter wear your miraculous medals. Your blogsite made my Christmas holidays even better than expected....and with Mig, Adam, Avery & Alexis (plus a dozen other relatives) visiting us here in Savannah - the season was already pretty darn great.
Have a blessed day.
Joan Tonning Hug