Monday, July 18, 2011

In a bad place

July 18, 2011

I'm in a bad place today - thinking the world is a bad place today. I can't turn on the radio or television or leave the newspaper lying around with my children nearby. Is that because we have too much information today? Or is it because the world is truly worse today?


The Sunday paper had an entire page devoted to the impact of legal gay marriage in New York on adoptions and other family matters. The radio and TV are inundated with sex. Maybe it is the information age that makes life so much harder for parents. How can children grow up spiritually safe in such a world? Is there any way to protect them from the culture? How to create a better culture?

My kids go to Catholic school, but not all parents there share my values - certainly. And they hear things that shock them and shock me. And I'm not sure I respond to it approprirately. I see them pick up vulgar habits, and I remind them of the farmer who sowed good seed and watched the weeds grew up. I remind them that they are good seed and they mustn't be influenced by the weeds.  And then I wonder if I'm too serious. And I wonder how to raise children who love and know God.

We went to feed the homeless yesterday with a group connected to my old homeschool group. Not sure what the kids got out of it, but I know it was a good thing to do. I was grateful for the opportunity to serve. And I counted my blessings, which include a home, family, plenty of food, and a job. I still feel I'm just muddling through. Does anyone else feel that way?

No comments: