Friday, October 3, 2008

And so on....

Oct. 3, 2008

So I haven't written for a really long time now, and we have really just had a lot going on. Difficult job, the long-term craziness of moving. Finally getting settled after a year here. Actually, Oct.1 was the anniversary of our baptismal flood here at the house, which welcomed me to SW VA and left me without a kitchen floor for two months. Ironically, that is the feast of St. Therese, the Little Flower.
So here is a question, if there are any actual readers out there: Is it possible to be a good Catholic and vote for Obama? I mean, yes, I'm pro-life, of course. And I'm on a pro-life committee and I do work for it. But, honestly, I disagree with McCain on so many issues including the economy, health care and defense that I find it truly hard to vote for him , either. And I'm not sure Palin is the sharpest tool in the shed. I read some commentary, I think it was on catholicity.com, that said the writer knew of many good Catholics who are not voting at all or are throwing their vote away on a third party candidate because of discomfort with BOTH major candidates. It almost seems as if anyone who is pro-life is blinded by that fact to all other negatives of a pro-life candidate. And that doesn't seem smart either. Ah, well, better to be wise than to be smart. I should pray for wisdom.

2 comments:

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Jimmy Aiken's site has several bloggers, and one has been discussing this very topic. I've got some obvious biases here [:)], but I wanted to direct you to this thread. I have struggled with McCain for various reasons. This is not an easy choice.

(By the way, it was nice to see you again!)

TradMom said...

Thanks Chris,
It was good to see you again, too. I read most of that thread. It is such a complicated choice. And I'm so frustrated that the presence of abortion in our country affects elections so much. There are so many issues at stake, here. There is really no easy answer. BTW, the Youth and Family Rally is this Sunday on the grounds of ST. A. at 3 p.m. You guys should come out.
lar